Getting pfSense to associate with a wireless AP can be a bit confusing. It looks like a lot more has been integrated into the web interface since earlier releases, but it might not be completley obvious how to make the association happen. .
- Add a NIC from the supported list... the 3com 3CRDAG675B that I used worked well and was detected right away by the FreeBSD.
- Next, add the new interface (Interfaces>Assign), name it, and enable it. If you're not seeing it, then it's probably not being detected by FreeBSD.
- You can see a list of local APs by clicking status>wireless
- Under Wireless Configuration, put it in Infrastructure Mode (BSS). Then set the SSID to the SSID of the AP you identified in step 3 in order to associate with. Then set the IP (or DHCP) configuration.
- If it has encryption enabled, make sure you set that correctly as well.
- Check and see if it has associated properly: Status, Interfaces
- The status should now read "assoicated", and it should have the IP you configured it with in step 4. You'll then begin to see In/out packets listed if you refresh the page.