Thursday, September 28, 2006

Business: The Guide to a Successful Managed Services Practice… Or, how a $100 book saved me $12,000

So maybe you don’t trust Vlad’s opinion of Eric’s book… I mean, really… how do we know he’s not just plugging the book for his buddy, right?

Having read though the book myself last weekend, I have to say it’s a great resource for any SMB IT service provider. It doesn’t matter if you’re a 1-man break-fix shop looking to get out of the hole that you’re in, or if you’re already doing good work in a business that can scale, you will learn something. Oh, and if you ONLY come away with $100 worth of value, then you missed the point entirely.

I’m not going to write another review… that’s already been done effectively elsewhere. What did the book do for me? Like the title says… one week after having read it, the $100 book saved me $12,000. Don’t believe me? Okay… we’ve been looking at advertising options and working on the business plan for a while now… essentially, we’re trying to figure out a way to generate more good leads. The book talks about that… and we already have the numbers to drill down though for our ROI calculations… the $12,000 would have been better spent on… just about anything else. So instead of blowing 12K and hoping, we have a better plan. Are we where we want to be yet? NO! But 12K in savings isn’t bad for a casual read on the weekend… and it’s already paid for my trip to SMB nation next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nick - what a testimonial!I'm glad you received more than your $100 back in only a weekend with our book! Thanks again...

Nick said...

Eric, Thank you for the book! - I started rewriting our business plan a few months ago, and the contents of the book are exactly in-line with where we're going. One of the things we’ve been struggling with is how to spend money appropriately on advertising – what we need is better metrics, and a sales organization that's mining our data better - postcards, thank-yous, and follow-ups - like you have detailed in the book. We avoided wasting money on a campaign that wasn’t measurable or appropriate, so thanks again!