Monday, January 02, 2006

Network Administration: Windows Desktop Search (WDS)

Did you notice that we now have a group policy .ADM template for managing WDS? Okay, I know… it’s about a month or so old, but it’s been something I’ve been looking for since last May, when I blogged about Google releasing their Google Desktop Enterprise. In fact, I talked to one of the WDS guys back then and apparently enterprise WDS was going into beta testing way back then.

In any case, it’s nice to see the .ADM template.

Oh, and if you’ve got a few people in organization already using desktop search, take a look at your Exchange server and see how overall utilization looks. Before you deploy WDS, you might want to consider enabling the policy to “Prevent Indexing of Uncached Exchange folders”, as this will help to reduce the load that adding WDS might otherwise consume.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick: How did you detect that the desktop search engine was causing problems in Exchange?

I help to sustain the exchange enviornment for a large organization and we are seeing some really weird utilization metrics on the exchange servers.

Nick said...

Kita - Couple of things... First, I'd really like to hear more about your utilization metrics - what you're watching, and how... but that aside, we saw an increase in CPU utilization, and unexpected disk I/O spikes on the Exchange servers. We also were getting a lot of feedback from our users about desktop search... and follow-up complaints about "slowness" in Outlook. If you haven’t already, you might want to check out Exmon.exe - it can help you track down who might be using desktop search. Email me direct for follow-up (I don't always see every post) - wmi.wmi@gmail.com - I'll cross-post to the comments.

Thanks, and good luck!